What I wish I knew about Senior Capstone

Arden Montjoy, Features Editor

As this school year comes closer to its end, I reflect on the past year of work I have accomplished. I realize that Senior Project (now Senior Capstone, if you were confused) is a behemoth of a project.

Senior capstone is one of the greatest challenges students face. The expectations that come with Senior Project, Apprenticeship, and Internship are overwhelming at first; however, once time and effort are put into completing your portfolio, the pride is immeasurable.

I wanted to go over some of the more confusing aspects of Senior Capstone because it can be overwhelming at first.

The most important thing to remember about Capstone is that you need to budget your time well, so you only have to do a little bit of work at a time.

When you set up your site, and move each document into your Google Drive the sheer amount seems like too much to ever complete, but you have to remember that you have a year to complete everything.

My advice seems obvious, but it is surprising how many times throughout the year you will forget that piece of information.

Another important piece of advice to have before beginning your project is to pick a topic or site that interests you.

I reached out to some of our current seniors to gain a bit of their perspective on Senior Capstone. Lillian McMeekin wrote “I know everyone says it, but I can’t stress enough that senior project is really what you make it out to be. It can be really difficult and time consuming if you choose a project with a lot of components and requirements, but it can also be a great learning experience depending on what you choose”.

Senior Capstone is not easy, but it doesn’t have to be torturous. It shouldn’t be a chore, so choose something that interests you, so you will be able to put more effort into your overall project.

My final piece of advice is don’t be afraid to reach out and talk to other people!

It sucks to talk to other people, especially adults who you need something from, but I promise you they do not hate you and they do not find you a bother.

The biggest learning stretch for me, has been my ability to communicate with others within a workplace setting.

I’m not saying I liked learning it, but it has been an invaluable skill to have during the last months of work.

No matter what profession or occupation you plan to enter after high school, you will have to communicate with others. This is a fact of life, but it will be much easier if you learn this skill now.

I know that I already listed my last piece of advice, but my real last sentiment is that you do have the ability to achieve great things. What your achievements will look like won’t be the same as someone else, but that does not diminish your achievements.

Good luck, future seniors. I believe in you. At least I do now, next year I’ll be in college, so there’s that.