GMC’s Christmas Song Rankings

Lillian McMeekin, Reporter

Though there’s much debate surrounding when the winter holiday season actually starts, it’s undeniable that the holiday season is approaching.

In honor of this 2021 holiday season, I sent out a survey to students here at GMC so we could figure out what GMC’s top 5 favorite and least favorite Christmas songs are. There were a lot of interesting responses to this survey, so let’s talk about it!

An overwhelming response to this survey was students voicing their opinions about how early people seem to want to start the Christmas season. Since sending out this survey in early November, I’ve gotten responses such as “We need more Thanksgiving songs, cause Christmas songs are played way too soon” and “Always remember Thanksgiving, he doesn’t get enough recognition. The dog show on Thanksgiving is awesome!” Some students were passionate about the idea that the holiday season shouldn’t begin so soon, saying things like “For god’s sake wait till after Thanksgiving.”

However, despite the strong feelings toward the Christmas season, people were eager to share their thoughts on the holiday music! So, without further ado, here are the top three favorite and least favorite Christmas songs:

Least favorite:
  1. All I Want for Christmas is You – Mariah Carey: 12 votes
  2. Last Christmas – Wham!: 6 votes
  3. Little Drummer Boy – originally by Katherine Kennicott Davis, been remade notably by Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and Pentatonix: 3 votes
Santa Baby – Eartha Kitt: 3 votes
Feliz Navidad – José Feliciano: 3 votes
I Wanna Hippopotamus for Christmas – Gayla Peevey: 3 votes
Baby, It’s Cold Outside: 3 votes

Favorite:
  1. All I Want for Christmas is You – Mariah Carey: 9 votes
  2. Last Christmas – Wham!: 7 votes
  3. Little Drummer Boy: 3 votes
Santa Baby – Eartha Kitt: 3 votes
Feliz Navidad – José Feliciano: 3 votes
Baby, It’s Cold Outside: 3 votes

Interestingly enough, All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey and Last Christmas by Wham! are both the favorite and least favorite Christmas songs. It seems like Some students commented on the divisiveness of the songs saying things like “Screw Mariah Carey all my homies hate Mariah Carey” or “Last Christmas has such a horrible vibe to it and just doesn’t feel Christmas-y.” It seems as though those who love the songs really love the songs and those who dislike the songs really dislike the songs.

A full list of all favorite song responses from the survey can be accessed here! Feel free to listen to this playlist through your holiday season!

Happy Holidays, Blazers!