The Benefits Of Being A Small School

The Benefits Of Being A Small School

Ansa Thomas, Opinions Editor

There are many ways that small schools are better than big schools. However, there are benefits beyond good test scores.

Small schools make it easier to make connections with your peers and teachers.

In a setting where they are recognized and valued as a whole person, not simply as a classmate or student. Close peer relationships, regardless of differences, make children in small schools feel comfortable and included.

Being a small school also provides a close relationship with your teacher. When the school is small, it allows students to have a one-on-one relationship with their teacher.

It also allows the students to feel comfortable that their teacher is there when they need help.

“Hundreds of studies have found that students who attend small schools outperform those in large schools on every academic measure from grades to test scores. They are less likely to drop out and more likely to attend college.”

Smaller schools usually have better scores on tests because they are able to have that one on one connection with their teacher.

Madi Wilkerson said, “One thing I like about having a small school is that the classes are smaller, so the teachers get to know you and your learning style, so you are likely to succeed. Like if you were at Mauldin high school, the teachers just grade your paper and give it back to you but here at GMC, the teachers care about your academics.”

There are many things great about GMC, but one thing that sets us apart is that our teachers are here for us emotionally and academically.