Teacher’s Favorite Songs

Ansa Thomas, Reporter

Have you ever wondered what your teacher’s favorite songs were? The Forge sent out a form asking them this question so you don’t have to! Here are the answers that we received.

Susan Gault “How can one possibly narrow that down? I guess “Don’t Fear the Reaper” by Blue Oyster Cult. It’s just awesome, in every way” When asking how long she loved this song she said, “Forever!”

Jordahn Shiley “Pig”– Dave Matthews Band, The song is upbeat and the lyrics are uplifting and motivating. It is also very fun to listen to live!” How long has that been your favorite song? “Several years!”

Cameron Cook “Only Skin” by Joanna Newsom, Newsom is a master storyteller who has crafted songs of musical and lyrical density for over a decade. Her magnum opus, “Only Skin,” is a 15+ minute explosion of creativity, changing time-signatures, thematic discovery, and restless, rapturous joy and sorrow. Newsom’s story begins universally and threads toward the specific, weaving biographical information with myth, historical context with futurism, all carried by her harp and accompanied by a chamber orchestra. Newsom’s incredible craft and her ability to weave multi-narrative allusions which spin all directions is unparalleled in contemporary music (and sounds like almost nothing else, barring maybe Tori Amos or Homer). “Only Skin” is a proclamation of a singular artistic voice with a breathless spirit. It’s, for me, a perfect song.” How long has that been your favorite song? “About ten years.”

Paige ManWaring “Say You Won’t Let Go” by James Arthur, It is the song my husband and I danced to at our wedding, it is “our song.” How long has that been your favorite song? “4 1/2 years; since we started dating.”

Alex Brilliandt “Don’t Delete the Kisses” by Wolf Alice, There’s something about this track that feels like my hide-in-a-corner anthem. It’s dynamic, genuine, haunting and charming, all rolled into one. The sound and the lyrics are wildly original.” How long has that been your favorite song? “Three Years.”

Abby McAllister “May We All” by Florida Georgia Line, I left home when I was 17 to attend school 10 hours away from home. I discovered this song when looking for songs to help with the homesickness. It’s my favorite song because it reminds me of my hometown in Indiana.” How long has that been your favorite song? “Over 4 years.”

Ryan Stone “Raining at Sunset (instrumental by Chris Thile),” Because it actually sounds like rain at sunset and the instrumentation is perfect.” How long has that been your favorite song? “Since I was in college.”

William Owens “Graves Into Gardens by Elevation Worship, Speaks of God’s Greatness,” How long has that been your favorite song? “One year.”

Laura Sawicki “Thriller” by Michael Jackson, “This is one of my favorite songs for multiple reasons. 1. It is iconic of Halloween one of my favorite holidays. 2. I remember getting so excited with my sisters to watch its premier video on MTV. 3. It has a Vincent Price voice cameo. Need I say more? 4. Michael Jackson’s songs are incredible.” How long has that been your favorite song? “Since 1983 when the video came out. Yes, I was a young child but I loved it.”

Nathan Gallion “Where I Belong” by Building 429, Switchfoot,” How long has that been your favorite song? “3 years.”

Tiffany LaPoe “Whoomp! There it is” by Tag Team, It’s catchy and energetic,” How long has that been your favorite song? “Just recently–the Geico commercial.”

Joel Frans “Summer of ’69” by Bryan Adams,” How long has that been your favorite song? “Since High School”

Ella Kate Meyers “Lotus Flower” by Radiohead, “It’s both mellow and intense.” How long has that been your favorite song? “Since 2011 when it was released.”

Claire Long “Hallelujah” by Pentatonix, “Because it is a happy/sad song that it put to a beautiful melody,” How long has that been your favorite song? “Not sure… close to 10 years?”

Layne Kirkland “The Scientist” by Coldplay, “It is retrospective and sad, but can make me feel better at the same time. I think it is achingly beautiful.” How long has that been your favorite song? “Almost 20 years.”

Kaci Elliott “Carry On” by Valencia, “It’s a song that no matter how I’m feeling makes me feel empowered. The message of carrying on even when things are tough can make you feel better and like things will always look up.” How long has that been your favorite song? “Since my Freshman year of college.”

Paula Rouse “Come Back to Earth” by Mac Miller, Mac Miller is my all-time favorite rapper and poet. When you listen to Mac Miller, you feel what he is feeling in the most powerful way. I love the chorus in the song: “My regrets look just like texts I shouldn’t send / And I got neighbors, they’re more like strangers / We could be friends / I just need a way out of my head / I’ll do anything for a way out / Of my head”. Brilliant.” How long has that been your favorite song? “Since the minute that I first heard the song.”

It is hard to pick just one song as your favorite, but sometimes you have one that just sticks with you, and other times it can change every day.