Black History Month 2023

Ellie Garzony, News Editor

February is Black History Month; a time to pay tribute, spotlight, and celebrate the achievements that African Americans have made within this country, despite the history of racism and oppression. 

Since 1928, a theme has been chosen annually by the Association for the Study of African American Life and History. The ASALH was established in 1915 by Carter G. Woodson, who founded Black History Month.

This year’s theme for Black History Month is “Black Resistance,” which shines a light on the resistance of oppression and the progress that has been made over the years.

2021’s theme was “The Black Family: Representation, Identity, and Diversity” followed by “Black Health and Wellness” in 2022. 

February was chosen to celebrate Black History Month to coincide with the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Fredrick Douglass. This event has inspired schools, businesses, and communities worldwide to organize celebrations.

There are plenty of ways that one can celebrate Black History Month. For example, take a moment to stop by the Student Ambassadors bulletin board here at GMC. There is a beautiful display of cards that can be flipped up to reveal significant historical information. 

For more information about how to celebrate, take a moment to read 8 Ways to Honor Black History Month by Terri Givens. 

Curious to know how Greenville is celebrating this month? Check out 13 African-American Cultural Sites that have been established within our local Downtown Greenville.