The Forge

The Student News Site of Greer Middle College Charter High School

The Forge

The Forge

Fall Decor Comes Out Too Late

Autumn: You love it or hate it. Fall lovers like me tend to embrace the autumn spirit as soon as possible. Here’s why you should, too.
Hayden Miller

As the leaves start to change and the air gets cooler, it’s only natural to want to start decorating for fall. But why should we have to wait until October to see fall decor in stores?

We should be able to enjoy the cozy vibes of autumn as soon as September rolls around. Instead, we see school supplies lining the shelves.

Although school supplies are a necessity, it’s important not to display school supplies in bulk past mid-August. Taking down displays after school starts gives students enough time to gather all the required materials they need for a successful school year without having to stress about last-minute shopping. Let’s prioritize the seasons and our responsibilities accordingly.

Plus, viewing autumn colors has been shown to improve mental health.

“Getting out into nature, dropping your heart rate, clearing your mind, breathing in the fresh air, all of those things are so important to our mental health. So, it’s definitely always something I recommend everyone to do.” says urban forestry program manager, Tyler Stevenson for The Daily Jeffersonian. 

My mom is a prime example of fall promoting the state of one’s mental health. Decorating the house with pumpkins and leafy garlands brings joy to my mom’s heart. It may bring you joy to watch horror movies with your family, sip on pumpkin spice lattes, or even dress your dog in silly costumes. It’s always created a fun and memorable experience for my family and me. It’s lovely to see how the little things can bring so much happiness.

Additionally, it is important to have the option to decorate early for autumn since leaves are not very visible until late September.

Decorating for fall can also bring a sense of nostalgia. Autumn may bring back memories of apple picking, leaf jumping, and warm cider. It’s a comforting time of year to enjoy the simple joys like the crisp air and changing leaves. Why not start those memories as soon as possible?

Come fall, we may feel a heady mix of nostalgic yearning, renewed optimism, and abstract melancholy. We may be sentimental, remembering long-gone school days or how excited we used to be as children, knowing Halloween and Thanksgiving were round the corner. Lacking a better outlet for our complicated emotions, we head to the store to pick up a latte or seasonal wreath,” says Adrienne Matei of The Guardian

For more information about why embracing fall early can be beneficial, please visit the links below.

There’s something about autumn: why do people love fall so much?

With colors peaking, fall foliage viewing can help your mental health