The Forge

The Student News Site of Greer Middle College Charter High School

The Forge

The Forge

GMC’s Junior Varsity Volleyball Freshmen

Our Junior Varsity Lady Blazers are over halfway through their 2023 season. They have practiced for many hours and performed excellently so far.  Currently, their regional game record is 5-3-0 (five losses, three wins, zero ties). 

This year, there are five freshmen players. Lela McCraw is a defensive specialist for our JV volleyball team. She has been playing volleyball for five years. She noted that her favorite volleyball memory was when she got hit in the head at practice with a volleyball. This memory was painful, yet hilarious. Her favorite part about playing volleyball for GMC is playing with her friends.

Carissa Hartway is an outside hitter. Carissa has been playing volleyball for the past six years, starting in third grade. Her favorite volleyball memory was when she was dancing and tripped and jammed her fingers (and noted that she is okay now). This memory allowed her to realize that her specialty is volleyball, not interpretative dancing! She loves playing volleyball for GMC because she is close with her teammates.

Thais Tucker has been playing volleyball for four-and-a-half years. Thais is a defensive specialist on the team. She explained that her favorite (and funniest) volleyball memory is when she ran outside for practice, tripped over a bench, and almost fell into a bathroom stall. She recalled winning a few games with GMC during their pre-season volleyball tournament. She is grateful for the support and kindness that GMC has shown her.

Lydia Crabtree is a setter. Lydia has been playing volleyball for four years. Her favorite volleyball-related memory was when she made the all-region time for her middle school last year, which was a big accomplishment for her. She believes GMC’s JV volleyball team has a lot of potential. She has enjoyed becoming friends with the upperclassmen and playing with supportive teammates.

Lucy Rouse is a right-side hitter. She has been playing volleyball for three years. Lucy’s favorite volleyball memory was when she got her first attack (when a player sets, spikes, or tips a volleyball toward the opponent’s side of the court) during her first club season, as that was a big achievement for her. She loves playing for GMC because she has gotten to meet new people and get more involved with the school. She believes the team will grow as volleyball players throughout the season and end as winners.

Best of wishes to the Lady Blazers as they finish out their 2023 season!