The Forge

The Student News Site of Greer Middle College Charter High School

The Forge

The Forge

A Freshman Prodigy: 9 Questions With Tyler Wallace

Tyler Wallace is a runner for our varsity boys’ cross-country team here at GMC. Not only is he on the varsity team, he is the only freshman on the team. Wallace has a personal record (PR) of 17 minutes flat. If that wasn’t enough to prove his skill, he is currently the fastest freshman runner in Greenville County. 

Question: What initially sparked your interest in taking up cross country and what are your goals for this sport? 

Answer: I’ve always been a good short-distance runner and my friends wanted me to do long-distance, so I did it. My goals are to become successful and run in college. 

Q: What have you learned from being on cross-country so far?

A: I have learned that it is not just about running, it is also about spending time and bonding with your team.

Q: And how have you guys bonded?

A: We have bonded by going to [teammates’] houses, having sleepovers, and having pasta pump-ups with them the night before.

Q: What was most surprising or challenging about cross country?

A:  Our coach would make us run a lot of miles every single day and I thought that I would get injured. 

Q: Who is your biggest inspiration outside of the team and why?

A: [My] biggest inspiration outside the team is David Goggins. He has a mentality and has taught me how to be more successful with running.

Q: Have you had any injuries during the season and if so how did you recover?

A: I’ve injured my ankle and my lungs, but I took a break from running so I wouldn’t hurt myself more. 

Q: Does your team have any pre-meet rituals?

A: Yeah, we have a [chant] called “Ah-Chi-Lay-Lay”.

Q: If you could describe your team in one word, what would it be?

A: Inspirational.

Q: Why should others join the cross-country team?

A: Other people [should] join the cross-country team because it’s not just about running, it’s also about, like I said, bonding with your team and doing fun stuff, going to other places, and stepping outside your comfort zone.