Season in Review - Cross Country Runners

Season in Review – Cross Country Runners

Our Cross Country Blazers brought home the State Champion trophy along with the State Runner-Up trophy earlier this month. The Blazer runners have given their behind-the-scenes information and strategies for success in the 2023 season! 

I first asked the runners how they dealt with mental challenges throughout the season. The boys agreed that when they “[thought] about Kanye [West] and all of his hard work,” they were given the motivation to finish their races and workouts. On the other hand, senior girls Lyric Rains and Sofia DiPasqua mentioned that their faith allowed them strength and encouragement throughout the season. 

Reese Houck revealed that the team was the most important part of cross country to her, “It’s been such an amazing group of people.” 

It takes a lot of strength and training to be a successful runner, but it’s also important to note individual strengths. “As a runner this season, I feel like I’ve grown a lot mentally,” Ellory Smith answered. 

Goals are the key to success. When asked what his goals are for next year’s cross country season, junior Felex Mikhail answered, “Probably would [be] win state again. To be the best I can be.”

Lastly, our senior Blazers left messages for the underclassmen runners.

“It’s been a really great season and a great time on this team. I’ve enjoyed every moment and all the times we’ve played man hunt and other games together.” – Carson Hill

“I’ve really enjoyed all the years running. It’s really been a family, especially played man hunt and freeze-tag.”  – Seth Hammon

“I’m gonna miss you guys so much! I’m coming back!” – Sofia DiPasqua

“I’m gonna miss [the team] every single day! We’ll cheer you on a bunch and don’t stop fighting for the family that is GMC. We never give up on the family of our cross country team.” – Lyric Rains