The Forge

The Student News Site of Greer Middle College Charter High School

The Forge

The Forge

Formula 1 Preseason

Carlos Santiago

It’s that time again! Formula One is back, and several innovations have been made to the ten participating teams. Thrilling, vibrant, new liveries paint the grid, as the start of the season ramps up.

Liveries

Liveries began to be released in February. Kicking the season off with Haas who introduced their 24’ look on the second. Immensely similar to their car for last year, they went with a black background, and with their logo boldly outlined on top.

All of the information that is listed below comes from the cite Motor Sport Magazine.

Launching the same day as the third livery, Williams released their car at 2:40pm, about five hours earlier than our third livery. The Williams Racing team decided to raise their front wing higher than in 23’, this is due to the aerodynamics of the car when on the track.

A lot of technical improvements are being made to several liveries to improve the way the car races, and its speed. Their rims and tires have altered as well, choosing neon yellow wheels, and neon blue rims to match their team colors.

Following the second released livery, the newly named Alfa Romeo team released their look on the fifth, who changed their name entirely to Stake F1.

Choosing a vastly different approach to their livery this year, with a neon green car instead of their previously maroon livery. This eye-catching new livery immediately attracted the attention of everyone in the Formula One world.

Fourth to be released was Alpine’s livery, released on the seventh, taking “a very aggressive approach,”(MotorSport – Alpine). As their goal for the 2024-2025 season is to potentially place in the top four.

Although their livery is immensely similar to last year’s, the Alpine logo is smaller, and the color scheme is minimized, achieving a different stylized element.

On the ninth, Alpha Tauri released their livery, and changed their team’s name.

Their new team’s name is VisaCashApp Red Bull, as the team is Red Bull’s junior team. The livery this season is completely different from last season’s, going instead with a bright blue compared to their signature navy color last year. The blue is refreshing, giving the car a lively, exotic new look for the season that somewhat resembles a Red Bull can?

Sixth to release their livery was Aston Martin. The team known for its relishing forest green car, released yet another shade to add to their gradient chart.

Going with a brighter green, and an ombre ‘aramco’ rear wing instead of the black rear wing they had the year prior. Aston Martin’s new look has fans excited for the race season, as it’s truly a breathtaking livery.

Seventh to be released, and my personal favorite, Ferrari.

For the 24’ season, the team went with a vintage approach, with a matte red, and a groovy number font. Ferrari Red is the car’s primary background, with yellow and white stripes encircling the entire car.

Ferrari also exchanged their rims for the new season to red rims with yellow and white thin circles outlining the wheel’s center. The car is absolutely magnificent, and my favorite livery by far.

On Valentine’s day, McLaren and Mercedes both released their liveries.

First, was McLaren at 8:38am in the morning. With their iconic neon orange, their 24’ livery is sure to be a showstopper. They’ve switched their teal blue and orange lining for a primary orange lining with a cartoony black outline. This new change really makes their livery pop!

They kept their rims from the 23’ season, with the colorful chrome symbol as the premise for design. The QR code on their rear wing is smaller for the 24’ season, adding to the car’s refined approach for the season.

Second on Valentine’s day, was Mercedes at 10:15am. This year, the team chose an entirely different background color for their livery.

They switched their traditional black for a silver, with teal undertones. Mercedes went with a vintage approach, similar to Scuderia Ferrari’s livery.

Last, but certainly not least, Red Bull released their livery a day later on the fifteenth.

At first, no one could notice the changes on their livery. Everyone on the internet was calling it a ‘copy and paste’ of last year. Yet, one key aspect of their car is quite frightening to competitors… The Barge Board.

The curvature of the barge board is immensely different from last season’s, and competitors think it’ll work very efficiently.

Drama 

Lewis Hamilton → Ferrari
Lewis Hamilton announces his switch from Mercedes to Ferrari in 2025.

News like this ahead of the 2024 season causes a colossal uproar. Fans are furious, fans are elated, teams are shocked, teams are frustrated, teams are immensely upset. It’s a rollercoaster of emotions for everyone involved in Formula One.

Especially Toto Wolff, Mercedes’ team principal. Who upon hearing the news, met with Hamilton the following morning, per-usual, as it was their annual get-together date.

According to Formula 1, Wolff stated that: “I’ve found a friend, we’ve built a relationship over the last 10 years, and he faced a very, very difficult situation, taking a decision of where to drive, maybe for the first time since 10 years without being able to brainstorm with me”(F1).

His departure wouldn’t be taken lightly, but he would still remain highly revered to his former team principal.