The Forge

The Student News Site of Greer Middle College Charter High School

The Forge

The Forge

Ansa Thomas Belly flops don’t hurt me. . .

The Forge’s very own Ansa Thomas is now a published author at 17 years old. She is incredibly talented, creative, empathetic, and a truly amazing writer.

Her book of poems Belly flops don’t hurt me. . . is a wonderful story of heartbreak, healing, and the importance of acknowledging everyday problems.

Ansa began writing Belly flops when she was in seventh grade. The inspiration behind the name of the book came from her personal experience. Ansa says “I was always able to belly flop with perfect form and it wouldn’t hurt. . .one day I did a belly flop from a higher place than I was used to. It hurt me for the first time and I never did a belly flop again.” The cover photo is a drawing of the day she attempted her last belly flop.

Ansa is most proud of being able to take everything that she has been through and turn it into a bigger work. She is proud that she can speak about her experiences “with a glimpse of hope.”

She was worried about the fallout that would occur with her friends and family. She had to break down all of the barriers that come with publishing. Ansa has truly grown as a person from this release. Her book has helped her grow and learn more about herself through the beautiful outlet of writing.

I recommend giving Belly flops don’t hurt me. . . a read. Her words will move you to laughter and to tears. She is such a talented writer and her work should not go unnoticed.