The Forge

The Student News Site of Greer Middle College Charter High School

The Forge

The Forge

GMC Cross Country Race

GMC cross country does it again, taking home victories at the Heathwood Hall Highlander Invitational

It was a hot weekend afternoon, with many schools gathering together to tough out a long and hard course.

However, little did they know the heat that the GMC Blazers were going to bring to this meet.

Once the race started, it was an all-out war for the finish. Thankfully, the course was set up wonderfully for coaches, according to coach Dentler: “It was amazing to have a coach’s por-at-potty at the 2-mile mark.”

Eventually, one by one, the Blazers crossed the finish line along with hundreds of other runners, with one notable occurrence being Kyan Spako running sub 20:00 with an inchworm on his shoulder. Soifa Dipasqua led the pack finishing second for varsity girls with a time sub 19:00. Our boys’ varsity also had 11 kids break 18:00 minutes. 

When the race was all said and done, the Blazers were victors! The varsity boys come together to get a top 5 placement. The varsity girls and the JV boys both won their race, and the JV girls finished 5th behind a great performance from Alex Johnson.

The Cross country team, carrying their trophies and medals, loaded back up on the bus and headed back from Columbia. However, the team was not ready to endure the ride back, which happened to be on the bus with no air conditioning. 

However, our brave cross-country team fought on, going straight into the most dangerous and gritty place imaginable: the Columbia Mall! Our blazers went and ate a great meal together and then had a fun time riding the carousel together for team bonding. 

Once their food was digested and they had enough of the carousel, the Blazers hopped back on the bus and returned to school to prepare for the rest of the season!