The Forge

The Student News Site of Greer Middle College Charter High School

The Forge

The Forge

You’ve heard of Mrs. Kirkland, but who is Mr. Kirkland?

Anderson Kirkland is an English Education Major at Bob Jones University, and he wants to be an English teacher for high school students.

Kirkland initially wanted to go into journalism to write front-page articles, but he didn’t want to end up always chasing a news story that might not make it on the front page.

Kirkland fought the idea of following in his parent’s footsteps for a while, but eventually, he caved and realized that teaching was in his future.

“It was more of a personal fulfillment in my life that journalism could not fill, so I decided to teach. ”

Kirkland is a GMC alumnus and was a starter on the basketball team when he was a student.

He played basketball at BJU (Bob Jones University), but soon realized that school is more important, and is now a Coach here at GMC for the boys’ basketball team.

Kirkland is so excited for his opportunity here at GMC. He said he wants to “create a positive learning environment and establish relationships with my first ever students.”

He wants the students at GMC to know that “I am a GMC alumnus (class of 2020, #COVIDyear).”

So, if you see Mr. Kirkland in the hallway, don’t forget to officially welcome him to the GMC teacher world.