The Forge

The Student News Site of Greer Middle College Charter High School

The Forge

The Forge

September Board Meeting Recap 2023

BTS of what’s happening at GMC

On September 25, 2023 GMC had the first board meeting for the school year.

Agenda items included finances, school status, information concerning the new middle school, important dates, and more. 

In attendance were Zach Salvato, Tony Kouskolekas, Jennifer Jones, Pauline Nichol, John Short, Lori Larsen, Darin Scheidly, and Pamela Adams. 

The meeting started with our three Blazer Brag candidates who are all in the semifinals for National Merit for the SAT. 

GMC’s three finalists are Kyle Gafner (12), Kate Illingworth (12) , and Megan Morris (12). (If you see them, give them a congratulations from The Forge!)

The status of the school was discussed next. Greer Middle College is in the top 40% of best charter high schools in America, bringing us in at top 100. 

In South Carolina, we are fifth, partially due to our EOC scores. 

Currently, GMC has around 527-530 students. Enrollment was discussed as well as why students would leave GMC. 

GMC also has a podcast. Contact [email protected] for more information.

Plans for the middle school are moving forward; however, GMC is still looking for companies to provide bids for the construction. Plans are also moving forward for the sports facilities planned for the middle school location.

Budget items were discussed including potentially repairing potholes and repainting the student parking lot.

GMC will also move forward with a plans for a billboard close to Hardee’s in downtown Greenville.

The next board meeting is scheduled for October 30.

Important Dates

10/6: Blazer Picnic – there will a silent auction, Henry’s Food Truck, live music and more. Look in the Blazer Newsletter for more information concerning tickets and times. 

10/28: Trunk or Treat & Cross Country’s Haunted Trail – “Come get some candy at the trunk or treat then dare to go on the haunted trail hosted by the Cross Country team on October 28. It’s a whole new trail setup and whole new story line, so come see our new scares!”

10/30: GMC Board Meeting

11/2: Enrollment opens for Upcoming freshman for the 2024-25 school year.