The Forge

The Student News Site of Greer Middle College Charter High School

The Forge

The Forge

Boo On A Budget

I have been making my Halloween costumes by myself for most of my life. Every year I manage to make a cool, handmade costume on a budget. Here are some of my favorite costumes you can make for a hauntingly good deal!

Sheet ghost: A classic. All you need is a bed sheet that you don’t mind cutting holes into. If a normal sheet ghost isn’t really your style, feel free to add your own personalized touch. Consider adding sunglasses or hats to your ghost. Once you’ve added everything you want, just throw it on and go out with your friends.

M&M’s: If you’re looking for an affordable yet comfortable costume, this is perfect. You can buy any color T-shirt and tape a big white lowercase “m” to the front. You can go a step further and draw little designs on your face with face paint, but it is not needed. This is a great and easy group costume. 

Zombie: For this costume, you can take some old clothes that you don’t mind cutting up and cut little tears and holes into the clothes. After you’ve created a tattered look, you can use a dollar-store face paint kit to create a fake blood look. Then paint your face to look a little bit sickly and you’ll have an easy zombie costume!

Weird Barbie: If you want to be something fun this Halloween, consider being weird Barbie from Barbie. You can wear a pink dress and then grab some markers. You will want to draw a circle around one eye and then scribble on your forehead with colored markers. Then you can make your hair as wild as possible. 

Mario and Luigi: This is definitely a fan favorite. You can take a red or green shirt with a pair of overalls and find a red or green hat. If you want to go the extra step with the costume you will need to buy or draw on fake mustaches.

Bag of Jelly Beans: This costume is sure to stand out. You will need a trash bag, colored balloons, and colorful ribbons. You’ll want to cut holes in the trash bag so you can wear it. Then you will blow up the balloons to different sizes and tape them all over the trash bag. In the gaps, you will put the ribbons and wrap them around the balloons. After you have made the costume you can print out a jelly bean logo and tape it to the front of the costume.